Monday, June 9, 2008

vegan

For awhile now I have wanted to try and eat vegan at my house (eat vegetarian outside the house). But I always came up with some lame excuse not to start. Now I am living with my grandparents for 2 months 20 days unil I move to Dallas, TX. I told myself 'I cannot do vegan cooking now, I do not want to inconvenience my grandparents'. Another lame excuse, I have my own fridge and if I eat with them I usually eat something different anyways than them because they have meat in their meals.

I am going to start slowly. Making muffins and desserts (I really want to try black bean brownies http://havecakewilltravel.com/2008/01/02/based-on-the-famous-bbbs/). Once a week I make dinner for them, maybe make a vegan dinner (curried vegetables in a coconut sauce http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=371) next time. So when I move to Dallas I will already be in the swing of making vegan meals.

Baking my first vegan muffins tonight:

Ingredients
1/4 cup soy margarine
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup soymilk
2 cups fresh blueberries
agave nectar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line muffin cups with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.
Mix all ingredients together until moistened.
Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups. Each should be filled 3/4 full.
Pour about 1/2 t of agave nectar on top of each muffin.
Bake 35 minutes or until the tops are firm.
Cool on a wire rack.

Recipe from: http://www.recipezaar.com/123809

No comments: